Founded in 1894, Louisiana Tech University boasts nearly 130 years of academic excellence. Located in a quiet, north Louisiana town, the university is the heart of Ruston: population 22,000. Louisiana Tech has a student population of just over 11,000, with approximately 2500 of those students studying at the postgraduate level. Students find both Ruston and the university to be manageable, as the size of both is perfect for walking.
Louisiana Tech University was recently named a Tier One national university by US News & World Report. This major achievement makes Louisiana Tech the only Tier One ranked university in the nine-member University of Louisiana System. In addition, Forbes ranked Louisiana Tech as one of the top 200 research institutions in the United States, while in 2012 Newsweek Magazine gave it a #13 ranking in the country in terms of affordability. AdvisorOne ranked Louisiana Tech as the university with 21st Best Return on Investment while BestColleges ranked Louisiana Tech as the 48th Best Return on Investment. The university has five schools, with Social Sciences, Business, Education and Health Professions among its most popular majors. The school is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Louisiana Tech boasts a number of activities on and around campus for students. The newly constructed Lambright Recreation Center has indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a full fitness center, bowling alley and many other amenities. Students may also enjoy watching Division I sporting events. The university also has a vibrant international student program in addition to its more than 150 student organizations.
Louisiana Tech offers two types of housing for its students: residence halls and the newly constructed University Park student apartments (http://www.latech.edu/universitypark/).
Residence halls rooms accommodate 2-3 students and contain beds, closets and sink. Television room/lounge, kitchenettes, vending machines and one more laundry facilities are located throughout the buildings. University Park buildings overlook the tennis courts and baseball field and are located within a block of the intramural fitness center.
Students have a private room in a two- or four- bedroom unit. Each apartment has one or two shared bathrooms, kitchenette, small refrigerator and furnished common area. Every bedroom contains a full-size bed, a desk and two night stands. All university housing has cable television access and an Internet connection in each bedroom.
- Co-educational, state-supported institution with over 160 student organizations
- On-campus sports facilities include two swimming pools, tennis courts, 9-hole golf course, soccer field, track, Hideaway Park with walking trails, frisbee golf and the Lambright Sports Center - a fitness complex with six basketball courts, twelve racquetball courts, saunas, weight rooms, fitness classes, indoor jogging track, 20 pool tables and 8 bowling lanes.
- Java City Cyber Café and the 24-hour-accessible Innovation Lab: boasting the most advanced information technology available, are places of constant activity.
- Throughout the year, the University brings in nationally recognized artists, plays and concerts.
- NCAA Division I athletic programs with 14 varsity sports. (Students are admitted free of charge to all Tech sporting events.)