Find the right University in Australia with ELS

ELS can help you find the rightuniversity in Australia while you are still in your home country through our search tool and in-country ELS authorised Counselling Agents.

There are many factors to consider in selecting the right university. Our goal is to help you find universities and other institutions that best match your academic background, educational goals and personal achievements.

Australia has a diverse range of post-secondary institutions with different locations, programs, and entry and admission standards. You have many options to consider when deciding what to study and where to study. The in-country ELS Counselling Agents will assist you with admission into the most appropriate college/university for your needs.

Post-secondary Options in Australia

Post-secondary education in Australia is divided into two streams: Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training (VET).

The Higher Education sector in Australia includes universities and other institutions approved to deliver undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Government-owned Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions and other registered training providers make up the VET sector and deliver Certificates, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.

Australia has built a strong reputation for excellence and quality across both the higher education and VET sectors. The Australian Government has a national set of qualifications and supports articulation pathways between qualifications. Therefore, the establishment of formal pathways, which may include credit transfer arrangements, enables students to move seamlessly between the two streams.

Higher Education in Australia

The curriculum of higher education courses is based on knowledge and understanding of subject matter and courses are mainly offered by universities and approved higher education providers.

Entry into most higher education courses in Australia is highly competitive and a high standard of English language is required for both undergraduate and postgraduate study.

Each education provider will have different entrance requirements so it's important to contact your in-country ELS Counselling Agents who will assist you with information and the admission process.

Higher education qualifications include:


  • Bachelor degree: Requires a minimum of six semesters of full-time study. Entrance typically requires completion of Australian Secondary School Certificate of Education (Yr 12) or overseas equivalent, or a diploma/advanced diploma from the VET sector.


  • Coursework masters: consists of a combination of coursework, project work and research. Entry is typically completion of a bachelor’s degree, a bachelor’s degree (Honours) or a graduate diploma.
  • Research masters: consists of at least 2/3 research with substantial thesis. Entry normally requires a bachelor degree (Honours) or masters preliminary year, a research-based graduate diploma or equivalent research experience.
  • Professional masters: may consist of a work-based project. Entry requires a relevant qualification and professional experience, or extensive relevant professional experience.
  • Research doctorate.
  • Professional doctorate.

Vocational Education and Training (VET)

The VET sector is focussed on providing students with work-ready skills and knowledge. Most VET courses are part of national training packages, which are updated regularly in consultation with relevant industry bodies. VET courses cover a diverse range of subject and employment areas from traditional trades to creative industries and have the advantage of being competency based, which means you gain your qualification when you achieve the required skill level.

VET Qualifications include:

  • Certificate I–IV courses are designed to provide introductory skills and training. They provide industry-specific knowledge, and skills in communication, participation, literacy and numeracy, and teamwork. They vary in length from a few weeks to six or more months.
  • Diploma courses prepare students for industry, enterprise and para-professional careers. Some diploma courses can be completed at university level as well as at TAFE institutions. Diplomas require 18 to 24 months of full-time study
  • Advanced diploma courses provide a high level of practical skills for employment in a specific career area, such as accounting, building design, or engineering. Some advanced diploma courses can also be completed at university level. Advanced diplomas vary in length from 24 to 36 months.
  • Vocational graduate certificate/diplomas are the equivalent of the higher education graduate certificate or diploma. They provide high level employment-related skills and knowledge. The graduate certificate usually requires six months of full-time study and the graduate diploma usually requires one year of full-time study
  • Some Vocational Graduate Diplomas are also offered by universities in Australia