Grand Valley State University Internships and Co-op
- Location Allendale, MI
- Nearest ELS Center Cleveland,OH
Learn more about University Programs That Provide Work Experience in the U.S.A Frequently Asked Questions
|Key Major||Future Job Possibilities||Sample Co-Op and Internship Companies|
|Engineering (Product Design & Manufacturing)||Health and Safety Engineer, Operations Analyst, Quality Engineer||JR Automation, Shape Corporation, Trane|
|Hospitality Tourism Management||Contract Food Services, Personnel Administration, Casino Management||Disney, Amway Hotel Collections, West Michigan Whitecaps|
|Business (Accounting, Management, Marketing)||Tax Compliance Manager, Payroll Director, Cost Engineer||BDO USA, LLP; Amway Corporation; Steelcase, Inc.|
• Listed as one of ”Americas Top Colleges” by Forbes
• Listed as one of the Top 3 Public Regional Universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report
• One of The Princeton Review's Best in the Midwest
• Named one of America's 100 Best College Buys 18 years in a row (Institutional Research and Evaluation, Inc., Sept. 2014)
• Ranked 5th nationally for study abroad participation by the Institute of International Education
• Nearly 90 percent of Grand Valley graduates are successfully employed or pursuing advanced degrees
GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY CO-OP AND INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS
Internships: An internship is a supervised work experience directly related to an academic discipline. The internship may be full or part time and may or may not be a paid work experience. An internship typically lasts for one semester and is available in most GVSU majors.
Co-ops: A co-op is a work training program designed specifically for the School of Engineering. Once admitted into the program, students complete three rotational experiences with an employer. When participating in the rotation, students will work full-time, taking classes the semesters in between. Co-op rotations are typically in the spring/summer, winter and following fall semesters.
Internships and co-ops provide excellent opportunities for students to explore career options, gain relevant and pertinent skills, and expand their professional network, all while earning academic credit and possibly even a pay check!
• have a declared major or minor within the department
• have at least 60 credit hours
• are in good academic standing (some departments also have a specific GPA requirement)
• gain permission from the department (most internship classes require a permit to register)
Work hours: While there is no all-encompassing rule, generally students pursuing a for-credit experience will seek three credits. This roughly equates to 150 hours per semester (or a minimum of 10 hours/week for a 15-week term).
|Housing||Location Type||Offers Scholarships||Degrees Offered|
|Available for Undergraduate and Graduate||Suburban||Yes||Bachelor, Master|
|Public/Private||Institution Type||Student Body||Student Population|
|Public||Master: Colleges and Universities||Co-educational||22406 (Total)||400 (International)|
Please Note:While you will build your resume and gain many professional skills during your co-op or internship, participating in a co-op or internship does not guarantee employment. Sample companies and future job possibilities are intended to highlight possible outcomes.