San Mateo Colleges of Silicon Valley are operated by the San Mateo County Community College District which was established nearly 100 years ago. They are three, fully accredited, public colleges – Cañada College, College of San Mateo and Skyline College – located near San Francisco in the heart of the Silicon Valley.
All three colleges are University Transfer Colleges with elite, quality programs and services. All of our Colleges have “Transfer Admission Guarantees” with the most notable public and private universities throughout the United States. This gives students the right to enter the university if they meet the university’s transfer requirements without being subject to the
university’s regular selective admission processes. Based on an agreement with UC Berkeley, our Colleges belong to the University’s exclusive Transfer Pathway program. Our students in the honors programs also enjoy Priority Admissions status from UCLA that may give them as high as a 70% admission rate.
The Colleges have strong housing partnerships for international students with safe, accessible public transportation. International students have priority registration for classes. Every international student receives immediate, extensive and personalized support from our international student staff, counselors and faculty at each college.
The San Mateo Colleges are the only community colleges in the USA that received the best ratings by Moody (AAA) and S&P (AA+). Since 1995, we have invested close to $1.4 billion in modernizing classrooms, laboratories and facilities. Scholarships are available.
Low (winter): 44°F/7°C
High (summer): 79°F/26°C
Skyline College does not offer on-campus housing / dormitory. International students can choose to participate in our Homestay Referral Program. We offer private and shared rooms, with or without meals. The information and application is on our website at: http://www.smccd.edu/international/housing.php.
Students can also rent an apartment, either alone or shared with other international students in the city of San Mateo and adjacent communities. Furnished and unfurnished rooms can be found and rent ranges from $1500 to $3000 per month for a one bedroom. Students must be prepared for additional costs of utilities (gas, electricity, and telephone.) Average living expenses in the community are $15,000 for a ten-month academic year.
- The International Student Program assists international students with college related and personal matters in multiple languages.
- Full-time counselor for academic and transfer advising available.
- Frere tutoring, supplemental instruction and workshops are available at the Learning Center.
- Special STEM programs to support students in STEM majors, such as Engineering and Technology Scholars Program and Fab Lab.
- Free, non-stop college shuttle bus runs between Daly City Bart Station and the campus.
- Various student clubs offer programs and events for international students throughout the year.
- Intercollegiate and intramural sports programs are available.