- Location Charleston, WV
- Web Site http://www.ucwv.edu
- Need to Learn English? Learn More About English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
|Key majors offered|
|Housing||Location Type||Offers Scholarships||Student Population||Offers CLA|
|Available for Undergraduate||Urban||Yes||2300 (Total)||Yes|
|Degrees Offered||Public/Private||Institution Type||Student Body|
|Diploma, Bachelor||Private||Doctorate-Granting University||Co-educational|
Yearly Costs / ELS Level
|Degree||Tuition||Fees||Housing **||Meals||OtherExpenses||I 20/Visa* (Total Required Funds)||ELS|
The University of Charleston has three locations in West Virginia and offers programs online. The main campus in Charleston is located in the state capital of West Virginia amid magnificent mountains and rivers, with a panoramic view of the Capitol building across the Kanawha River. The University has been known for the high quality of our courses in a friendly and supportive atmosphere since its founding in 1888. We believe in small class groups, personalized attention, and the dedication of teachers who truly care about their students' progress. We offer a wide range of bachelor and associate degree programs in business, health sciences, and arts and science disciplines. Master's degree programs in Business Administration (MBA), and Physician Assistant as well as a Doctoral program in Pharmacy; just to name a few. The University of Charleston annually ranks among the U.S. News & World Report's "Top Regional Colleges in the South" and the Princeton Review's "Best in the Southeast." We are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, with multiple departmental accreditations. Charleston, the capital of West Virginia, is easily accessible by air via Yeager Airport, by regional train and bus services and by car. Charleston is the capital city and the largest city in West Virginia with population just under 130,000. It has a culturally diverse population, and is a nice mix of city life with a small, hometown feeling. The city is safe, clean and green, with friendly people and a lively city center easily accessible from all its neighborhoods.
UC is home to approximately 832 resident students in two four co-educational residence halls. International students represent approximately 30 countries. Students live in double-sized rooms with roommates, double sized rooms without roommates and single sized rooms. The card access system requires a student ID card for entry into the residence halls.
- The University of Charleston values the whole college experience, and for that reason our students are connected in and out of the classroom. Our nationally recognized first-year experience program pairs students with not only an Academic Advisor but also an Academic Mentor and Peer Educator. The Peer Educator attends the first-year experience class with students and also lives on the same hall as the class to ensure engagement and the ability for new students to easily reach out for help. We have approximately 30 clubs and organizations that are active on campus to help students become engaged. These include:
- Academic & Professional Organizations such as ENACTUS, American Society of Interior Designers and Concert Choir
- Governing & Programming Organizations such as Student Government Association and the Student Activities Board
- Greek Organizations such as Alpha Sigma Phi and Delta Phi Delta
- Honorary Societies such as Psi Chi (Psychology) Iota Tau Alpha (Athletic Training)
- Special Interest Groups such as Catholic Campus Ministries, Global Student Organization, and TOMS Campus Club
Beyond the campus, many students become active participants in the daily life of the Charleston community by taking advantage of an impressive array of work and entertainment options. White water rafting, skiing, mountain climbing and mountain biking are available within a one-hour drive from the campus.
The University of Charleston participates in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II and the Mountain East Conference with 19 Division II varsity athletic teams including nationally ranked men's soccer and men's basketball teams.